5.20.2008

I Love Food


There, I've said it, and while my saying so may be no surprise, it is the reason I start, here, on the adventure of writing about it.

What I enjoy so much about the subject of food is that, like food itself, the subject has many parts, flavours, textures, can be rich or lean, is frequently the realm of the unexpected, and encompasses so much more than just the meat and potatoes of life.

Fundamentally, I enjoy food because it is, by and large, delicious. Like a mad scientist with a spatula, I experiement - 'what happens if I add some of this...?' I try restaurants, try to replicate or modify dishes I like. I cook (and cook) for friends, because good food always tastes better with good company. And, yes, of course, there are the humorous failures and occasionally spectacular manifestations of the saying 'there's no accounting for taste.'

But wait, there's more! I like going to farmers' markets, talking to the producers about what they're growing when, being introduced to new foods by the 'have you ever tried this? Here, have a bit' ...*breaks off a stem and hands to me to munch* method, and seeing what others choose as a means of inspiration or education.

And there yet remains the consideration of food as a resource, as nourishment, and as something which is a daily struggle for many other people in situations very different from mine. That food keeps us alive is no small thing to consider, and only heightens my facination with and enjoyment of this remarkable part of my life.

Food, and the culture with which we surround it, is rich and dynamic and flavorful. It touches all the senses, pleases them, excites them, nourishes them - an endlessly variable and delicious landscape the exploration of which it gives me great pleasure to share.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Congrats on post #1!!! I eagerly await your future musings... if you ever need someone to help consume your experiments, you know who to call ;)

--G